Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hiking Mt. Timpanogos

For Mother's Day 2010 Ben made a coupon book for me which he soon learned to regret. One of the coupons promised "one date of choice." Immediately I thought, "This is it: my one and only chance to corner Ben into hiking Timp with me!" See, I have been BEGGING Ben for years to do this 14.2 mile round trip hike to the second highest peak in all of Utah. Maybe you don't know, but historically Ben hasn't been huge into "getting sweaty" for the better part of our marriage, let alone commit to a hike most people require 8 to 10 hours to complete. Well, the past several months he has been running (often with me) twice a week as well as playing basketball once a week. He is in great shape and I knew he could handle the hike. So we planned to do it during the summer, and kept delaying it until it could be delayed no more if I was to avoid going into labor on the top of a mountain. So the last Saturday in September, Ben and I began the hike at 6 am. It took a little over 3 hours to summit, and at the top we started talking to 2 men who turned out to be brothers of one of my very good middle school friends; Nate Lambert. After a good chat, we took a little under 3 hours to get back to our truck. At 34 weeks pregnant, I got a lot of comments from fellow hikers when they looked down at my baby bump! I loved spending the time with just Ben (and Mitt) and am so glad Ben is a man of his word!

No comments:

Post a Comment